giraffes and diamonds

Monday, September 26, 2005

DC talk could have been right

i love being in the dark. literally, not figuratively. i actually can't stand anything more than being the only one present without a clue. but there is just something about being in the darkness. i find sitting on the back porch swing after sundown utterly irresistible, especially with guitar in hand. it doesn't matter that the noise produced by the friction of my fingers on those strings isn't pleasurable for other people's ears; i like it. other times i enjoy absolute darkness include bedtime, movie time, naptime, class time, wintertime, well...most of the time. but why?
aren't i supposed to want to be in the light, just as He is in the light? and no, that is not a lame reference to DC talk but rather to 1 john 1:7. the problem with light is that it exposes...EVERYTHING. it's natural to flip on the light switch when you walk into a dark house to make sure nobody is hiding in there or to grab for a flashlight when packing for a camping trip. when the electricity goes out, it's typical to light a candle. we want to see what's around us so that we don't stub our toe on a chair or run into another person. our reliance is on the light. but if i get in the light, you'll be able to see me. all of me. and i'm afraid of how you'll respond.

2 Comments:

  • At 10:41 PM, Blogger Toby said…

    I think I'm that way too. I like darkness. I like dark and foreboding, minor key music. And dark things that draw me into self-evaluation. I'd like to say it's because I want to be a light in the darkness, but sometimes I think its because I like the darkness. Maybe the light/darkness metaphor is culturally insignificant to us today. I should probably expand on that thought, but I'm blog babbling and have to think it through first.

     
  • At 1:13 PM, Blogger kab_live said…

    nothing is better than chilly, rainy, cloudy, night time

     

Post a Comment

<< Home